A PhD's life



Well, it's been a long long time since I last put something on my blog. It's not that I did not write anything, I wrote a lot indeed, those include:

- 2 papers [1] (1 conference [2], 1 journal [3])
- The first chapter of a long story (I will post it here soon )

Last week, I suffered a bad flu which made me keep coughing for the whole week. I took tons of pills, originated from all around the world: Vietnamese, Chinese, European... and now I feel better

I wanted to write something about PhD life (it was about mine, but it is quite generally applicable to others), but I tried to wait until I have a better feeling about it. I just don't want my entry to be too bitter

Now, PhD life:

Before I started my PhD, I thought it's about
- Working with some other (smart) people to get something new and novel
- Satisfying my desire of learning and researching
- Using my programming skill and so on, to get some thing done
and most importantly, I dreamed about inventing something decent so that people in the industry would use it

After 2 years, I have learned all the below facts:
- PhD is all about writing papers (and even after graduating, you will still have to write papers, to be able to survive in the academic environment, or no university will hire you)
- Programming (and all the logistics skill) doesn't help. We can get some undergraduates do it for us.
- Most of the papers are crappy: you get someone's (nonsense) work, try to improve it to some better degree of nonsense, then publish it.

There were more than one time when I thought I would not make it.
There were more than one time when I felt regret about my choice.
There were more than one time when I said that I was wasting my time here, and that I could have done better outside.

But until now I am still walking on the road. And I am no longer thinking of leaving.

PhD is about testing your patience: are you able to do useless thing continuously for 3 or 4 years , under high pressure from school (your scholarship )?

Every night, you may fall into a deep sadness before going to bed, but the next morning, be ready to cheer yourself up.

Last but not least, when people keep talking about successful and famous 8x 9x guys who have earned millions of $$$, who have traveled all around the world. Don't be sad and change your mind. We, PhDs, are in a different system, where papers are our $$$, the lab is our world.

--------------------------------------------
[1] paper: unit to measure a one's ability on researching, like meter / kilometer to measure the length. It also means "some pages of writing about your (hopefully) new ideas/work".
[2] conference: like a meeting, you may submit your paper to a conference, if it is accepted, you can go there and talk talk talk.
[3] journal: like a magazine, you submit your paper to a journal, they read it and return to you after 6 months with their comments such as "your work is great, but not good enough to be in our journal" or "we found that you have done quite a good work, but you seem to be not aware of other work in the same area such as [.... their works here .... ]". All you have to do is to add their work in the reference part, and reply to them: "we would like to thank the reviewer, you helped us to enrich our paper. We have modify our paper according to your comments ..." . The process repeat itself until some years later, when they are fed up with you, they will accept it: "Congratulations, your article has been accepted and it will appear in the next 2 years' issue".

Nhận xét

  1. piled higher and deeper..... I wholeheartedly support the path you choose. Think about the dreams you've had and don't ever give up. yes you sound sarcastic and painfully humorous but what's better than laughing at ourselves?

    Trả lờiXóa
  2. Hey man, congratulations on your papers. Your thinking about PhD life is pretty common;) Everybody has wondered at least once in their PhD careers, I think. It's a normal thing when you have to deal with brain-teasers (or non-sense craps) almost 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can already make good money with a Master's degree, sometimes even better than with a PhD hood. I guess the safe plan would be getting a Master on the way to the Permanent head Damage :D I'm getting my Master's this summer but I'm pretty sure I will pursue my Piled Higher Deeper crap till the end, just simply because I like what I'm doing (oh yeah and the big bucks if you have a chance to work in some good research labs or holding some patents ;))

    Trả lờiXóa
  3. Looks like you've been pretty busy recently. But I do believe that all your efforts will pay off!!!
    Hope that you're better now! :X

    Trả lờiXóa
  4. "I dreamed about inventing something descend"

    Don't make science descend man. Check the word :D :D.

    Trả lờiXóa
  5. 3 -4 years long to get the PHD degree, the opportunity cost is so high.
    I think I can not be patient enough to pursue this career. My character doesn't suit it.
    :D anh Huy sap hoc xong roi con gi. Ma PHD cung oai lam ma, tien thi chua nhieu thoi nhung ma chac la cung thuoc loai top earners vai nam sau. Khong the so sanh duoc voi nhung nguoi co the leo toi CEO nhung ma so voi da so khac thi PHDs --> lecturers chac la giau hon. hi'hi'

    Trả lờiXóa
  6. bon courage!!! Continues ceux que tu as choisi... La patient, les travails et le courage te payeront un jour...
    bisous

    Trả lờiXóa
  7. Gi cang thang the bac, sap co hoc bong thang 4 roi :D

    Trả lờiXóa
  8. doc cung giong PhD comics la('m anh :=D

    Trả lờiXóa
  9. "PhD is about testing your patience". I thought this should be understood right from the begining!? Doesn't PhD stand for Patiently hoping for a Degree? And you must have patients to be a doctor, you know?? Keep it up man! You are the only one... (you know what I mean ;) )

    Trả lờiXóa
  10. Trong trang: he he, ko dung dau em. Khoa anh ra truong moi co gan 2 nam ma luong da nhieu nguoi 4k ++ roi. PhD fresh ra thi cung chi tam day thoi. Noi chung moi nguoi lam PhD ko phai de sau nay duoc luong cao dau, nhat la khi ve VN nua.

    Amser: Hoang, you're completely right, but last time I could not get the scholarship for master. So PhD is the only choice, though it's not safe :P

    Quynh Phuong: merci :P Mais quel est le prix qu'on va payer ... :D

    DD: dong chi Duy Duong hom nao gap mat an uong nhau nhet 1 cai lay tinh than nao.

    Quynh Nga: yes, I'm better now, I got a flu last week and now I've recovered :D

    Leoteo: nice catch :D word checked and corrected >:P

    Pham Manh Tung: nhung ma den thang 6 lai phai renew hoc bong chu a :D

    yakw: he he, cai nay goi la PhD novels chu comics cai gie =))

    Nam: Isn't it, I did not know that PhD stands for Patiently hoping for a Degree. I thought it was Praying hopelessly for a Degree :D

    Thank all for your comments :P

    Trả lờiXóa
  11. anh Huy sap tot nghiep roi a, suong the...congrats on your papers :)

    Trả lờiXóa
  12. oops you're so brave :-)

    just wondering if there's anyway in this world making unhappy people feel better about themselves :P maybe a psychiatrist will do?

    and will a psychiatrist suffer from your complaints? i hope not :P jk

    you're so admirable :-)

    Trả lờiXóa
  13. Nghe tha?m qua' Huy a! La` iem i', iem bo? tu lau roi! Bo hoc de^....:D

    Trả lờiXóa

Đăng nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến từ blog này

Làm thế nào để trở thành thiên tài

Ôi sinh nhật

Canada trip live blog (April 04)